Blogmas Day 16 - December Birchbox v's Glossbox

Its the final beauty boxes for 2017 and I've been looking forward to these boxes for months. December beauty boxes are usually the best boxes of the year. The products tend to be a bit more luxurious and previous December boxes have had more full size products that the rest. This is also not just the last Birchbox vs Glossybox for this year, but possibly the last I'll do on my blog! If you remember at the the beginning of the year I started comparing both the boxes. I wanted to help you decide which beauty box was better, if you were looking to start a subscription. But also along the way I wanted to help myself decide which subscription box I should cancel! I don't need two beauty boxes coming monthly, I'm ending up with far too many miniature skincare, haircare and body products than I can actually use up. Anyway lets get into this months boxes and see if they live up to my expectations....

Birchbox

Box theme : Life's Little Treasures

This month Birchbox have collaborated with a fashion designer called Matthew Williamson. They've taken inspiration from his Treasure Garden print for this months box design. Which I think you'll agree looks very Christmassy! This months box theme is all about life's little treasures and Decembers box is about discovering some new little treasures to add to your Christmas party look.

A matte full size cranberry shade lipstick, that's perfect for party season. Its formulated to stay in place all night without drying the lips out.
This lipstick feels really creamy and the colour looks perfect for Christmas. I love a good red lipstick, so I'm really looking forward to trying this out.
This is a full size product and costs £6.50

This is a 97% natural exfoliator. It gently exfoliates and buffs away dryness whilst the rich texture adds moisture.
This exfoliator smells amazing! It smells like caramel. I'm intrigued to find out if this will buff away the dry winter skin and leave my skin moisturised. As I don't really see how a scrub can add moisture back into your skin.
A full size scrub would cost £14.90 for 60ml, the sample I received is 50ml and would cost £12.42.

A creamy bronzing stick, that easily allows you to draw perfect lines, to define your cheekbones.
I've already tried this from a previous beauty box, it was ok but I don't think its anything special. Yes it allows you to get precise definition. But you do have to rub a little bit more than I'd like to, to blend this out. Which always worries me that it could be pulling my foundation off. After I've spent all that time applying my base perfectly I don't want my contour to remove it.
For a full size contour stick it would cost £13. The one I have is a mini version and costs £8.

A cult face mask that's 4-in-1 formula detoxes, invigorates, refines and brightens your complexion.
I've seen a lot of hype around this product and its pink Australian clay, so I'm very excited to try this out. I love a good face mask, especially one that claims to do all that this does. I cant wait for a pamper night!
This would cost £39.90 for 58ml. I have a 13ml sample, which would cost £8.94.

The perfect size and shaped brush to fit the contour of your eyes. This synthetic brush can be used with powder or cream shadows to shade and define your eyes.
This is marked as a Birchbox Exclusive and I don't see how they can say that when I have one of these brushes out of the Siren collection. I love Spectrum brushes, but this one is a bit of a disappointment. I hardly ever reach for this brush out of my Siren collection, I only tend to reach for it when all the others are dirty. That's because I find the shape awkward to use. In my opinion this doesn't apply or blend eye shadow well.
This is a full size brush and costs £5.99.


Box Price : £12.95 (including p+p)

Box Value : £41.85

Full Sized Products : 2/5

Products Excited To Try: 2/5

Overall Thoughts : I'm actually very disappointed in this months box. Yes there is some great products in this box, but I feel it could have been better. There is only two full sized products and one of them is the very disappointing Spectrum brush. Like I said earlier I love Spectrum brushes and I own quite a few of them, but I think that this brush shape just doesn't work well and they could of easily chosen a tapered blending brush instead. I'm really looking forward to trying the face mask and the lip product. But the rest of the products don't interest me nearly as much and that's why I'm disappointed. December boxes are usually full of exciting treats. Some people might find this months box exciting for them, but when your receiving products you've already tried its a bit boring. There are plenty of new products being released every month, so why are we not getting to try some of these out?




Glossy Box

Box theme : Beauty Staples

This month Glossybox have collaborated with the Irish lifestyle brand, Dusty Boy. To give us this beautifull box. It's not as festive looking as I thought it would be, its quite an understated Christmas box, but I really like it and I love the slogan on the front. Inside this months box are plenty of beauty staples that will see you through the party season.

This cleanser caters specifically for combination and normal skin types. The formula transforms into a delicate milk upon contact with water, to eliminate impurities without over-drying. This cleanser is infused with nourishing ingredients that work to re-balance your complexion and delivers a mild exfoliation to minimise pores, fine lines and wrinkles.
I'm really looking forward to trying this cleanser! I have combination skin so the fact that this helps to re-balance skin sounds perfect for me. I'm also really excited to see if this does help minimise pores, as that's another problem I have.
This is full size and costs £12.95.



 An airy matte lipstick that delivers full coverage colour. These lipsticks are formulated to last all day without that drying feeling, thanks to the avocado oil.
This is a beautiful mauve colour, its a colour that I think would suit most people. It feels really creamy and I cant wait to see how this holds up throughout the day.
This is also full size and costs £12.70.


This conditions lashes and thickens them in preparation for mascara, for noticeably longer and fuller lashes.
In the last couple of years I've really gotten into lash primers. They really do help to protect lashes from the damage of wearing mascara daily. I'm looking forward to trying this, its come at the right time as the one I'm using at the moment has just about run out.
Another full size product which costs £7.


An intense black liner, with a precise tip to achieve that perfect wing liner.
I've never heard of this brand before, but it looks a very black and the tip does look like it will deliver a precise line. But the tip does seem a bit firm, so I'm unsure on how it will apply. However, I am looking forward to seeing if this will stand anywhere near my favourite Kat Von D liner.
This is full size and costs £18.


Charcoal is this years star ingredient. As well as purifying skin, its also a natural teeth whitener with anti-bacterial benefits. Not only does this fluoride free natural formula protect against tartar, it leaves your mouth feeling fresh too. 
I drink a lot of coffee and tea, so I'm always looking for a great toothpaste that will keep my teeth looking white. I'm excited to try this because its natural and not only helps to naturally whiten teeth, but should also protect my teeth from tartar.
If you hadn't guessed this was also a full size product and costs £4.99.

Box Price : £13.25 (including p+p)

Box Value : £55.64

Full Sized Products : 5/5

Products Excited To Try : 5/5

Overall Thoughts : Usually more than half the products in Glossybox are full size. I thought it was really great that they'd made all of Decembers full size! What a treat that was and speaking of treats they also sneaked in a little chocolate gift as an extra. I really like that there's a mix of brands I've heard of and also haven't heard off. But even though there was brands I'd heard of, I've never tried or even knew they did the products that came in this months box. I love that every single product in this months box is something I would go out and pick up to try myself. I like the mix of products in the box, I'm very glad that there is more make-up products than skincare. Even though I like skincare, I think you get far too many skincare products throughout the boxes. Anyway I love this months box and I'm excited to try every single one of these products.




December Box Winner : Glossybox
It 100% had to be Glossybox this month! I felt disappointed when I looked inside my Birchbox this month and that's not what I want, especially in the December box. But when looking through the Glossybox it was the complete opposite! It's what I expect for the December box and Glossybox definitely delivered on their end.


What was your favourite box this month?




Check back next month to see what I thought was the overall box winner for 2017 and to find out of I'll be cancelling and subscriptions. If you cant wait to find out who the overall winner for 2017 is, then there are links below to the previous months to find out yourself.



If you want to check out past Birchbox V's Glossybox then check out the links below













ReRe

Follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Bloglovin to keep up to date with all things blog related

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Follow Me