Birchbox Vs Glossybox - May

Both my Birchbox and Glossybox's have arrived. That means only one thing, its time for this months instalment of Birchbox Vs Glossybox. In this post I'll share with you my first impressions of the products that are in this box and let you know in my opinion, which box I think is the better one this month. If you didn't know, this is a series I started this year. So if you want to know what my impressions were of the previous boxes, scroll to the bottom for links to those.


Birchbox
Box theme : It's all in the details

This months box theme is all about the details and little tweaks that we make to improve everyday. The main reason for this theme is down to the improvements that Birchbox have made to there subscriber benefits. You no longer earn points to spend in the Birchbox shop for completing surveys. Instead for completing the whole months survey, you will be sent a free delivery code for that month. By doing this I think they will find a lot of people wont complete the surveys religiously any more and only complete the month when they want the free delivery for the Birchbox shop. Don't worry though there is still perks to the Birchbox shop for being a subscriber. If you've been subscribed for one to five months you get 10% off products from the current months box. But if you've been subscribed for over six months, like me. You get 15% off everything on the Birchbox shop, which is very decent. I would still prefer the points per survey to the 15% off, but at least its still a nice perk for being a subscriber. To see more info on what has changed to the benefits, check that out here. This months box design is very pretty, its a marble design with rose gold details. Yes it will be another box that I will be keeping, I'm running out of room to store them and ways to use them.


A loose pigment eyeshadow, that's soft and made from all natural ingredients. Which means its great for people with sensitive eyes. This month we were able to choose which shade of this eye shadow we wanted to receive, Vanilla frosting (pearl) or fifty shades (grey). I chose the vanilla frosting, as I've already had the fifty shades from a Glossybox quite a while back. This product doesn't really interest me, I don't like loose pigment shadows, there very messy. I would rather have a palette with a few shadows in than one loose eye shadow.
This product is full sized and costs £14.49


This mascara has a jumbo fibre wand, which defines each individual lash. Adding volume and thickness to mimic false lashes. Wow! Their not lieing about the jumbo wand, its massive. I've never heard of this brand before, but I'm really looking forward to using this mascara and seeing if it does deliver the false lash volume it promises.
A full sized mascara would cost £18, there is no size shown on the product so I would say the sample is worth around £3.


A Korean skincare brand, with a two step approach to de-clogging pores. Strip one is made with oil-zapping charcoal and witch hazel to de-clog the pores. Strip two then soothes using green tea and cucumber. I'm excited to try any Korean skincare. I've actually been looking at these online and was thinking about trying them out. So I'm quite excited to have one in this months box to try.
This is full size and only costs £2.90


This mask is all about giving stressed-out hair some love. This nourishing treatment contains strengthening rice protein, hydrating JoJoba oil and moisturising Shea butter. This mask also protects and add shine to all hair types. I'm a little bit unsure about this mask to be quite honest. Its the name of the mask, shine & volume. The shine part is fine and all the nourishing ingredients sound amazing in the mask, but I don't need any more volume in my hair. I have crazy thick hair as it is, so it scares me to think that this could give me even more volume. I will try this out, as like I said the nourishing ingredients sound like they will do amazing things for my hair.
A full size mask would cost £10.50 for 200ml. I have a decent 50ml sample, which would cost around £2.63.


This body cream has a blend of organic Shea butter, cocoa seed butter and green tea that help to protect and soften the skin. This body cream also claims to firm and smooth skin, leaving skin looking even and toned. I'm always sceptical about firming body creams, I don't think any of them work. Of course I will give this a go, but I think the size of this sample is a bit rubbish to give it a good test. I think you need at least a two week supply to be able to make a proper opinion on the product and be able to decided whether you like it enough to purchase more. There is probably only two days worth of product in this sample. So I wont really be able to see if this does actually firm anything up or not in that time scale.
This would set you back £27 for a full sized version of 150ml. I have a tiny 22ml sample, which would cost around £3.96.

Box Price : £12.95 (including p+p)
Box Value : £26.98
Full Sized Products : 2/5
Products Excited To Try: 2/5
Overall Thoughts : Overall I'm disappointed in some of the sample sizes. I'm only excited to try two of the products in this months box, so not even half of the products interest me and I'm unsure of whether or not I like the new subscriber benefits. On the plus side the box is very pretty, I've discovered some new brands that I've never heard of and I'm getting to try a product out that I was about to buy myself.

Glossy Box
Box theme : Basic Essentials

This month's box is all about discovering some new basics. We all buy the basic essentials for not just our wardrobes, but also our beauty stash too. But we often forget about these basics and they don't get as much love as they should. So this months box is all about bringing those products to the front and sharing some of the Glossybox teams essentials.


This is a charcoal based exfoliator, Charcoal is one of the most ancient detoxing ingredients. This exfoliator absorbs day to day pollutants and impurities that sit on the skin. Its a 100% natural, vegan and vegetarian friendly. I've seen these dry scrubs around a lot lately and I've been wanting to try them. Like most of you I'm used to the watery scrubs, so this is something very new to me. But I'm really looking forward to trying this, seeing how this feels on my skin and how my skin looks afterwards.
The full sized product cost £13.95 for 200g. The sample size I have is 100g, which is a decent sample and would cost around £6.98.



A multi-purpose balm that can be used on your lips, skin, nails, hair and even the face to create a sheer sheen or to smooth unruly brows. This has a combination of Aloe Vera, olive oil and PawPaw which nourishes and soothes the skin. Its also fragrance free, cruelty free and vegan friendly meaning everyone can use it. This does literally everything!! I'm not usually one of those people who likes using multi-use products, I know there great at saving space and are great for taking on trips. But I would much rather have a product that's really good at one thing, than a product that's ok at doing a few things. I'm going to give this product a try though and that's mainly because it says its good for insect bites. I got bit quite a alot on holiday, so I'm hoping this will help heal the scars up quicker. I will of course try this product out every single way it says it can be used and see how good it actually is. This could be a great handbag essential so I'll give it ago, but I'm not in a hurry to try it.
This is a full sized product at 25ml and cost £6.95.


Super silky soft blusher, that gives that perfect pop of coral colour to the cheeks for a summer glow.
This isn't super silky soft like it says, I found it to be quite chalky when I swatched it, but it does seem to blend quite nicely. Although this looks quite a bright coral shade in the pot, when I swatched it the colour was a more wearable light coral. For me personally though I don't think I will get on with this for my skin tone, but I know this will look fantastic on my sister and I'm sure she will love it, so I'm going to pass this along to her.
This is also full sized at 2.5g and would cost €14.99, which is around £13.69.


A lightweight gel/cream that's rich in powerful anti-oxidants and patented polyphenols to help calm skin and restore its water. Most the things I've tried from Caudalie I've loved, so I'm looking forward to trying this and seeing if I can add this to one of my favourites. It has a really nice scent to it, however it is quite a strong scent, but this is supposed to be good for sensitive skin and its paraben free.
The full sized product would cost £23 for 40ml, the sample I have is 10ml and would cost around £5.75


An in-shower body sponge that has a soft side and a scratchier side, so you can buff those hard-to-smooth spots. This sponge also lets you know when its time to replace it, the writing on the label fades to let you know its time for the bin. Personally I think this is a bit of a rubbish product to put in this box, yes it goes with the body scrub. But I feel like they rang out of products to put in the box, so filled it with a shower sponge. These types of products don't excite me and to be quite honest I find it annoying when things like this are put in the boxes.
This is full sized and costs £4

Box Price : £13.25 (including p+p)
Box Value : £37.37
Full Sized Products : 3/5
Products Excited To Try : 2/5
Overall Thoughts : Very annoyed with the sponge item, which I'm going to call a filler product! The selection of products didn't wow me this month, I'm only really looking forward to trying two out of five of the products. However the sample sizes were very decent sizes, they are big enough to give the product a good test, so I can get a better feel of whether its a great product or not. There's a good range of different brands to discover this month, but I feel that there's too many body products in this months box.

May Box Winner
Birchbox

Both of the boxes were quite disappointing this month to be honest. I'm only excited to try two out of the five products in both boxes, but I'm slightly more excited about the ones in my Birchbox than Glossybox's. It was quite hard to make the choice this month, with them both being equally disappointing. But I think that stupid sponge killed it for Glossybox this month, which just gave Birchbox the edge to win and they did have a very pretty box this month too.

What was your favourite box this month?

Don't forget to check back next month, to see what June has to offer.

SNEAK PEEK
Birchbox : None shown
Glossybox : 111 Skin - Bright eye lift gel

If you want to check out past Birchbox V's Glossybox then check out the links below

ReRe

Follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Bloglovin, to keep up to date with new blog posts. I post every Monday and Friday, so be sure to check back then.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Follow Me