Birchbox Vs GlossyBox - January

Its back! One of my more popular posts, Birchbox vs Glossybox. But this time its here to stay! Every month I'm going to compare them with each other and let you know which box is my favourite for that month. Then at the end of the year I'll let you know which box I think was better over all, for the year.

If you don't subscribe to a beauty box and are thinking about starting a subscription, but are unsure which one to go for. Then this post may help you decided over the next few months, which one to choose, if any at all. This will also help those who are like me and have a few subscription boxes on the go and are maybe thinking about ditching one of their beauty box's. Then hopefully these posts will also help you make that decisions over the year. 

So go grab a drink, get cosy and I'll start delving into Birchbox first.

Birchbox

Box theme : Sprinkle of happiness


 
Firstly we will start with the box. Birchbox over the last few months have moved away from the usual standard pull off lid box. Instead they are using more of a draw box. Which I really like and must confess I have kept a couple of them on my dressing table. I keep lip liners in one and hair accessories in another. There a cute addition to my dresser and I can change them up monthly, when a new box design comes through my door that I love. This months box is white and yellow, very cheerful colours which suits this months box theme perfectly. The outer box is white with yellow sprinkles all over and the inner draw section is pure yellow. 

The first thing I always reach for when I open the box, is the info card. I like to be able to read what each product is, as I pull it out of the box. On one side of the info card it tells you all the information about the products you have received inside your box, this month. At the bottom of this side it also shares with you how to win a 12 month subscription to the box and a sneaky peak into February's box, which ill let you know at the end of the post. On the other side of the info card is a check list of things to do, that will start your new year off the happiest way and keep you smiling throughout 2017.


Onto the products now, inside this box I received two beauty and three skincare products. 

This is described as being way more than a creamy concealer, that not only disguises imperfections but also is great at highlighting areas you want to show off. I'm not quite sure how it can conceal and highlight. The point of a concealer is to hide imperfections and not make them standout. But if this is supposed to highlight areas like your brow bone and cupids bow, then surely it will also draw attention to your imperfections. This really is very creamy and very easy to blend. But the shade I received is beige, which is the second shade out of the very small three colours that are available. This shade is far to dark and orange for my skin tone. It wouldn't have concealed or highlighted anything on my complexion. The shade I believe I should have received, was Ivory. I wasn't impressed with this product due to it being unusable on my skin tone and also being confused as to what it actually should be, a concealer or a highlighter. 
This product is full size and would cost £12.

There's not much to say about this product. Apart from Nail's Inc are a well known brand and loved by many for the vast amount of shades and effects of nail polish they make. Personally nails Inc are a brand I already love. I find that there nail polish may be on the pricier side, but I do believe it last longer on the nails. The shade I received is called royal botanical gardens. Its a light pastel blue, which is shade I don't really have. I probably wouldn't wear this shade right now as I think its too bright. I'm still into my nude, grey and brown shades at the moment. But I know I will get some great wear out of this nail polish, come spring time. The shade of the nail polish fist perfectly with the box theme as its more of a happy shade. 
The sample I received is 4ml, a full sized product would be £15 for 14ml. The value of this sample is around £4.30.

This is a hand cream that is packed with tiny pearls and nourishing extracts to pamper and sooth your hands. This product comes in assorted fragrances, the scent I received is called flower power. I'm not big on hand creams, to be honest I always forget to use them. But this is a handy sized product that will fit nicely into my handbag. This is the best time to put a hand cream into a beauty box, as winter does dry skin out quite a bit. So I'm sure there's a lot of people with dry hands at the moment. A while back we did receive a hand sanitiser by the same brand and I really enjoyed the scent and how it left my hands clean, but also hydrated. So I am looking forward to trying this out and as Its a handy throw in your bag size, maybe I'll actually remember to use it. 
This is a full sized product which would have cost £4.90.

This formula is packed with antioxidant-rich veg, vitamin-packed pomegranate and hydrating Shea butter. The nourishing formula diminishes puffiness, fine lines and crows feet. It also delivers much needed nutrients to the delicate skin around the eyes. I've always been intrigued by the Yes to line and I've wanted to try them for a while now. But I've never got around to actually buying any of the products to try. I'm looking forward to finally being able to try something from the Yes to line.
This is the last full sized product in the box and would have cost £9.99.

This is a skin rejuvenator which has a blend of brightening lemon, soothing rosewood and nourishing sandalwood. This can be used any time of the day to give skin a quick pick me up. I've had this product before, but from a different beauty box. I didn't like it then ,so I know I'm not going to like it now. That's not Bichbox's fault, they have no idea what I received in another box. But for me, I don't like the smell of this product. I don't mind it being in bath oils when your trying to unwind. But I think the scent is far too strong to be sprayed onto my face. I don't really see the hype of beauty sprays either. I think they are an unnecessary product that doesn't need to be part of your skincare routine. This is one of those products that I would call a princess product.
The sample I received was 40ml and the full sized product is £19.95, for 180ml. This sample would cost around £4.43.

Box Price : £12.95 (including P+P)
Box Value : £35.62
Full sized products : 3/5
Products excited to try : 3/5
Overall thoughts : I though this box stayed true to its theme. Its nice to have received very decent samples, more than half the box was full sized and the other products that were only sample size, where still very decent sizes. Overall its a nice box but it's not got me excited enough to try any of the products out straight away. 

Glossybox

Box Theme: Edible Edit 


The box itself looks like any plain boring Glossybox. There is no cool design on the outside of this months box, but once you open the box that changes. Inside the lid is a quote from Deliciously Stella, who is a foodie Instagram sensation. The quote reads 'You can't milk an almond'. Which all links into what this months box is inspired by. Its a super food inspired box, that wants to transform our beauty regime. Inside is two beauty products and three skincare products. 


This moisturiser is a super food powerhouse, its filled with kale, watercress and almond oil. This should enrich skin and protect it against external aggressors, from pollution and stress. While concentrated aloe Vera and Shea butter help to soothe and smooth skin. This first product fits the box theme perfectly, its packed with lots of super food skin loving ingredients. I've never tried anything by the brand Nip and Fab, so I'm excited to try this product out. This is a welcome product for this time of the year. It sounds like it will be extremely nourishing and help reverse the effect of the drying cold weather and central heating.
This is the only product in this months box that's not full sized, but the sample size is still very decent at 30ml. The full sized product would cost £19.95 for 50ml. Which makes the sample size around £11.97.

This is a matte eyeshadow, that has decent colour pay off, is velvety smooth and blendable. This is a single eyeshadow out of their meet matte trimony palette. The shade I received is called Matt Moskowitz. Its an aubergine shade, which is a shade I'm loving at the moment. Other than the fact that this shade is aubergine in colour, I have no idea what this has to do with the edible theme. I've never tried any of the balms eye shadows before, so I'm looking forward to trying this. Its nice to try one of the eye shadows out before plunging into buying there palette's, which are priced at £39 for 9 eye shadows. 
This single eyeshadow is a full sized shadow out of their 9 shadow palette, it would cost around £4.33 for one eyeshadow.

A gentle cleansing milk based on nutritious natural oils, which purify and protect the skin. Removing impurities as well as make-up, leaving skin soft and restoring its elasticity. This is recommended for all skin types and is gentle enough for even sensitive skin. This is another brand I've not tried and I'm excited to try! 
This is a full sized product, which would cost £14.

This Korean mask is made with extracts of nourishing manuka honey. This has a triple layer sheet technology (a Korean innovation) that makes for unbeatable absorption. The mask utilises extracts of the manuka honey to moisturise and soften skin. Leaving it smooth, rejuvenated and restored, with enhanced radiance. 2016 for me was all about the sheet masks and I'm pretty sure my obsession with sheet masks will continue into 2017. I love how easy and disposable they are. I'm really looking forward to trying this out and having a little bit of me time.
This is full sized product and costs £3.99

This is matte lip cream, that promises to not crack. This lip product promises to deliver intense colour pigmentation with lightweight, non-drying mousse formula that glides over lips. Eventually setting into a plush matte finish. Matte lip products are my absolute favourite thing at the moment. I love how they make my lips look, but it can be hard to find a product that also keeps them hydrated. The matte lip look, does not look good if its dried your lips out to the point they crack. The shade I received is called calypso, which is a pink colour. I've received one of these in the past, in a coral shade. The colour and the formula did not look good on my lips at all. I'm not as excited about this product, just because I have a feeling that even though the shade of lip cream is different. I'm still not going to like the formula. I also don't see the connection to the edible theme with this product. There doesn't seem to be any natural ingredients in this or edible name to it.
This is a full sized product and should cost £5.


Box Price : £13.25 (including P+P)
Box Value : £39.29
Full sized products : 4/5
Products excited to try : 4/5
Overall thoughts : This box stayed true to theme with its skincare products, but not with beauty products. Which to be honest I think is quite hard to do and I would rather have some beauty products to try that didn't follow the theme, rather than all skincare that followed the theme. I really loved this months box. I though the products were great choices to include and I'm really excited to start trying the products out straight away.

January Box Winner 
For me I think Glossybox wins this month, due to me loving more of the products and being more excited about the products in the box. The value of the boxes were both very similar and both boxes had great sized products this month. But Glossybox's theme and products were just far more superior in my eyes than Birchbox's

Which box would have been your favourite?

Don't forget to check back next month for February's addition. As promised here is Birchbox and Glossybox's sneak peek, for February's box
Birchbox - Full size Spectrum Collections make-up brush
Glossybox - An exclusive designed collectors edition Glossybox, for valentines.

ReRe

Follow me on twitter @makeupbyrere and on bloglovin, to keep up with new blog posts. I post every Monday and Friday, so be sure to check back then.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Follow Me