Christmas Afternoon Tea

You all know my love for afternoon tea. I've sampled quite a few places around the Grimsby/Cleethorpes area, so I do have my favourite places I like to go. One of them is the Comfy Duck, you may remember a similar afternoon tea post back in the summer, where I showed you their seaside themed afternoon tea. One of the reasons I love Comfy Ducks afternoon teas so much, is because they change them often. Their afternoon tea's are always so inventive, pretty and most importantly really tasty. They recently had a Roald Dahl's themed afternoon tea, which unfortunately I missed out on. But everyone I spoke to, who'd been said how amazing it was. Which obviously fuelled my jealously on missing out on it. Which is why I made my partner book us into the Christmas afternoon tea as soon as they launched it. I didn't want to miss out on this one, especially as life gets more busy the closer to Christmas we get.

Another thing I love about the Comfy Ducks afternoon tea, is that it comes in two parts. You get your savoury first and then your sweet. I like this, as it kind of gives you a break between the two. I don't know if your the same as me. When I see those desserts I end up rushing through the savoury, just so I can sink my teeth into that sweet goodness. This way I get to take my time and enjoy each savoury item. Anyway lets get into this amazing afternoon tea.

Your experience starts as soon as you walk into the door, your always greeted in a warm and professional way. The service is always amazing, they make you feel like your a VIP. Once they've sat you down, your served a glass of Prosecco. If you prefer or are driving like in Paul's case, then you will be served a soft drink of your choice.


The savoury part of the afternoon tea comes served, on a 3 tier cake stand. They will talk you through everything that's on the stand, so you know exactly what your eating.
I'll start from the top down and let you know what each part was.


Tier 1
First on this tier we have the miniature Yorkshire pudding, with pulled brisket, carrot and swede. It was like eating a mini beef dinner. Next on this tier we have pigs in blanket with onion marmalade. One of my favourite parts of my Christmas dinner, has to be the pigs in blankets. So I obviously enjoyed this bit. 
This tier is basically all my favourites off a Sunday roast, pigs in blankets, meat and the Yorkshire pudding.


Tier 2
I shall call this tier, the parsnip tier. Here we have a parsnip velouté, with parsnip crisps and a choux bun. I've never really liked parsnips, so I wasn't expecting to like this tier at all! But I'm always up for trying everything. I'm so glad I did as this velouté was so tasty. It was creamy, thick and flavoursome. The parsnip crisps were really crispy and surprisingly tasty. A great healthy alternative to crisps, something I wouldn't mind trying to make myself. I didn't know what to expect from the choux bun, I've only heard of the sweet ones. This however was crispy, creamy, cheesy and basically delicious.


Tier 3
This is the only cold tier. We have a smoked salmon and cream cheese crostini. Lastly is the turkey and cranberry roulade. What's great about afternoon tea, is that it give you the chance to try things you normally wouldn't. Paul had never tried smoked salmon, I didn't think he was going to like it. Basically I thought I was going to get an extra bit of smoked salmon. Unfortunately for me, he really enjoyed it so I didn't get any extras. But I'm happy, he can now share my love for smoked salmon.

We enjoyed all three tiers, they were delicious and very flavoursome. But if we had to choose our favourite tier, it would have to be the first tier.


Dessert came served in a rustic wooden tray, with a pot of tea. As soon as it was placed in front of me, before they could even finish telling me what was what. I had already mentally chosen the order I was going to eat each dessert in. Saving my favourite till last. I will go through each one as I ate it.


Firstly was the snowball, a marshmellow covered in coconut. I ate this one first, as I'm not a big coconut fan. This however, was really nice. It was very sweet and the coconut flavour wasn't overpowering, which is probably why I liked it. It was a very light dessert. Perfect to start or end with.

I then went onto the Cinnamon swirl brioche with caramel mascapone. Again, I don't like cinnamon. I can handle it in small amounts, which is why I did try this. Paul was quite excited about possibly getting an extra dessert, as these are one of his favourite. But personally I didn't find the Cinnamon overpowering. It went really well with caramel mascapone and i think it was that, that helped mask some of the Cinnamon taste. Be warned this is sticky, but delicious.

Next we have the pistachio macaroon's. I love pistachios, but I've come to realise that I'm not so into pistachio flavoured things. This dessert was not one for me, I would have preferred a different flavour. But pistachio is a perfect Christmas flavour, which fitted in well with their theme.

Another dessert I didn't like was the mince pie creme brulee. I love creme brulee, but hate mince pies. Paul however, loves creme brulee and mince pies. I didn't try this dessert as I knew I was not going to like it. So I traded mine for Paul's gingerbread Christmas tree. Paul really enjoyed the creme brulee and was very happy he got to eat two of them. It was basically a mince pie at the bottom of the tea cup, with vanilla creme brulee on top. Paul was literally in heaven while eating this.

While Paul was enjoying double creme brulee, I was enjoying the gingerbread trees. I love gingerbread, it's one of my favourite things to make and eat around Christmas. I was not disappointed by these, they were perfect and very enjoyable dipped in my cup of tea.

The dessert I saved for last, was the chocolate Orange pot, that comes with a shortbread tree. Personally I think, chocolate orange is one of the best flavour combinations by far! It was the dessert I was most looking forward to and I was not disappointed. The mouse was very light, so it wasn't overly sickly. For me it was the perfect end to a wonderful afternoon tea.

If you live close by or are ever in the Lincolnshire area, I would 100% recommend afternoon tea at the comfy duck. The service is always amazing, their afternoon teas are always inventive and full of flavour. The afternoon tea is priced at only £14.95 each. Which I think, is such great value for everything you get.

What do you think would be your favourite savoury and favourite dessert off this afternoon tea?

ReRe

Follow me on twitter @makeupbyrere and on bloglovin, to keep up to date with new blog posts. I post every Monday and Friday, so be sure to check back then.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Follow Me